Australian Mass Mobilisation (AusMM)

2 posts were split to a new topic: Where to carry out Wave 3 Disruption?

Need to decide whether or not to use this option. Timeline now rolling and AN email almost ready to go.

I think we should definitely use it. Itā€™s working in WA and SA and highly regarded in the UK. But the main thing for me is trying to build a grassroots climate emergency movement in Australia for 13 years and how hard it has been without any financially supported positions. It has always seemed that we can get to a certain size and momentum with no $$ and then we ā€˜top outā€™, burn out takes its toll and we fall back, build up again, fall back ā€¦

In contrast, Lock the Gate, with just two Victorian organisers, mobilised a massive number of new groups and volunteers. The paid organisers were a massive support to new groups and volunteers and I never heard anyone complaining about their getting paid as they did a spectacular and heroic amount of work.

Their role was very similar to what is proposed for the AusMM mass mobilisers and I think/hope that these roles will work just as well - if we get the right people in them.

4 Likes

We in the Mobilisation WG are in direct contact with the UK mobilisers. The VLE experience has not been an issue there. Itā€™s an enabling process. According to Roger H something like 20% of people required more than the basic VLE, 65% of mobilisers required the proposed VLE and 15% of mobilisers did not require any VLE. Phone and travel are separate from VLE.

1 Like

Yes, this sounds much more like the regenerative activities pursued by people like Gandhi and Macy - community engagement and practices. Maggie

@Greyhorse Iā€™m interested in your comment re this sounds like the regenerative activities of Gandhi and Macy, however I canā€™t find the thread your comment responds to so Iā€™m not sure what you are referring to - can you please enlarge on this? Thank you

Hi Karen, I was replying to Reneeā€™s comments I think. Will try and find
out where ā€¦ and get back to you

Dr D M Broom
Grey Horse Growth and Learning
PO Box 218 Panton Hill Victoria 3759
greyhorselearning@gmail.com
0418 521 048