Extinction Rebellion (XR) is an international, non-partisan and non-violent movement founded in the United Kingdom in response to the ecological devastation caused by human activities. It draws on the research of climate scientists, the IPCC and the study of non-violent movements of the 20th century to inform its actions. The movement advocates nonviolent mass-participation civil disobedience actions in order to force governments to respond.
Extinction Rebellion (XR) Australia is a continuation of the values and demands of the international movement, while taking into account the specificities relating to our local context.
We have three demands (note: some local groups have developed additional demands):
1. Tell the truth
Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
2. Act now
Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
3. Beyond politics
Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
Anyone who agrees to adhere to our principles and values is welcome.
1. We have a shared vision for change
Creating a world that is fit for generations to come.
2. We set our mission on what is necessary
3. We need a regenerative culture
Creating a culture which is healthy, resilient and adaptable.
4. We openly challenge ourselves and our toxic system
Leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.
5. We value reflecting and learning
Following a cycle of action, reflection, learning, and planning for more action. Learning from other movements and contexts as well as our own experiences.
6. We welcome everyone and every part of everyone
Working actively to create safer and more accessible spaces.
7. We actively mitigate for power
Breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation.
8. We avoid blaming and shaming
We live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
9. We are a non-violent network
Using non-violent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
10. We are based on autonomy and decentralisation
We collectively create the structures we need to challenge power. Anyone who follows these core principles and values can take action in the name of Extinction Rebellion.
We particularly insist on:
- The radical (in the sense that our messaging, goals and actions attack the root causes of ecological and social breakdown)
- The non-violence (see rebel agreement below)
- The decentralization and horizontalism of the movement
- The autonomy of local groups and thematic groups
- The values included in our statutes which are: compassion, respect for the Earth and the living, authenticity, inclusiveness, mutual respect, fairness and determination.
These values and principles represent the “DNA” of our movement, and find their expression in our regenerative culture. This video explains the importance of regenerative culture for XR.
The Rebel agreement
All Rebels are asked to follow our basic agreements. They provide a basis for trust so that both Rebels and the public know what we can expect from each other.
- We show respect to everyone — to each other, the general public and to the government and police, although we may not feel respect.
- We engage in no violence, physical or verbal, and carry no weapons.
- We hold ourselves accountable for our actions and do not hide from the legal consequences.
- We bring no alcohol or illegal drugs.
- We take responsibility for ourselves; we are all crew.
We are here together until the Government acts on our three demands for necessary action on the climate and ecological emergency. This agreement aims to help us attract the many people we need to make this movement effective.
Any rebel adhering to these principles, values and the rebel agreement is considered to be a member of Extinction Rebellion Australia and can act on our behalf. We recommend getting feedback from other rebels before acting as we are a do-it-together movement.