👫 Paint the Streets Planning and Meetings

Hey everyone, I was thinking the meeting yesterday went very well in that there were a lot of people who came along from most of the country and HEAPS of enthusiasm for Paint the Streets.

I feel coming out of the meeting there is a lot of progress and work being done on Paint the Streets, but I feel coming out of it that there is a need for a bit more clarity around who is doing what and a bit more planning and organizing of the project resources and campaign.

During the meeting when allocating the last few people to breakout rooms there were a few people who said they were happy to learn and make stencils and get to painting the streets, but didn’t feel like being involved in the planning.
I’m thinking that there are probably a lot of people like that. I also think that the best thing most people can be doing is making stencils and posters and getting ready to paint the streets, and we just need a relatively small group to work on planning and organizing.

Forming Paint the Streets Working Group(s)

With that in mind I was thinking that the next meeting could be for self-selecting people who want to be part of the “Paint the Streets Australiaworking group to plan and organize, while people who want to make stencils and posters can be inducted through the stencil making sessions and the guide and through their local and regional arts groups, etc.

Suggested Meeting Plan

So at the Paint the Streets working group meeting we could have a quick 1-2-4 exercise over the questions:

• What are you doing currently for Paint the Streets?
  • What do you want to be doing?
  • What other work do you think should be done?

This would make current roles explicit, as well as outline desired roles and roles we might look for people to fill. We would then be able to make a clear structure for the group and set some priorities.
What do others think about this?

2 Likes

I definitely like the idea of smaller working groups and would be happy to be a part of the planning and organising wherever I can

Sounds good. I just made a post on the Mattermost channel about the ideas which were discussed in our breakout group. Should I repost it here? It is quite a long post.

Something I would like to add is that I would like to see a few core projects created before the “Rebellion” in a few days time.

The meeting recording is edited (cut out some of the fumbling with breakout rooms) and now up:

1 Like

Yeah it would be good to repost here.

Count me in for the PTSA working group :biking_woman: :green_heart:

Next meeting: Thursday 14th of May

(going on a fortnightly schedule so that group members have time in between to work on things and fit in a bit of regeneration - hope that is ok).

I would like the next meeting to focus on forming some functional working groups / roles to work on the moving parts of the project.

Reasonable groupings would be (I think):

• Arts: Working on all artistic creation, helping arts groups around the country mobilize for paint the streets.
  • Infrastructure: Establishing the infrastructure that will safely and effectively hold and communicate the paint the streets project and supporting materials.
  • Rollout and Mobilization: Engaging with regional, local, and affinity groups across Australia, designing and facilitating an escalating Paint the Streets campaign.
  • Media & Messaging: Working on messaging frames and guidelines, engaging with M&M groups and the media across the country to maximize the impact of our Paint the Streets message.
  • Social Media: Organizing the social media presence of Paint the Streets.

Ewan suggested that we could have some of these roles done by existing working groups - e.g. the national Media and Messaging working group could do the Media and Messaging work. I think this would be good, as long as we have someone in a link role who would be part of and accountable to the Paint the Streets project group (so we can trust the communication with the group will be good and the work will be done).

With this in mind, I want to invite rebels to self-nominate to attend the next meeting with the intention of being part of a paint the streets working group.

I think the agenda should be:

• Acknowledgements (3 mins)
  • Check-ins (3 mins)
  • 2 minute updates on project areas (maximum 10 minutes)
  • Split to breakouts (25-40 minutes)
    • What work are we already doing?
    • What work should this group do?
    • Who should do what?
  • Report-backs.
2 Likes

Hi
Caroline from Bris West . XR - I’m currently co-ordinating interested members in my group
and one of the main questions is, “What is the time frame, is there a ‘go’ date?”
Please can anyone shed any light on this topic regarding deadline for action
cheers
Caroline

1 Like

I’m pretty sure no date has been chosen, but it would indeed be good to have one.

thanks for your response Jane, we are a little behind on preps here at Bris West 'cos I didn’t join in the planning until later.

Hi Caroline, it has been agreed that the launch of PTS would be at the close of the Digital Rebellion on May 20. I can see that it hasn’t yet been widely advertised on our social media. But Max announced it about a week ago here:

1 Like

Yes, there’s a launch on the 20th - but that’s just to direct rebels to start putting lots of energy into this.
We need to work on frameworks for rebels to work with for escalation of Paint the Streets.

Here’s the message I sent to Caroline as she also emailed me:

1 Like

A proposal for regenerative action cycle scheduling: Paint the Streets - The 1st Wave
Launch being about 8 o’clock.

9 Likes

Love this.

1 Like

Is there a meeting tonight? If so, where might I find the Zoom link please?

Nope, no meeting tonight.

Lets set an end date for PTS 1st Wave and plan the after party.

1 Like

Lets leave a good amount of time to plan our actions and action our plans in honour of the #3rd

2 Likes

Next Meeting: Reflection and Learning, 5pm AEST Thursday 11th June

Apologies that I haven’t called any meetings for a while - I had a bit of burnout and some trouble at home.

Luckily, my role coordinating this project has not been very important the last few weeks, as there have been plenty of stencil and poster makers, paste-up groups and the Adelaide high-risk affinity group getting to action.

In fact, I know there were at least 4 paste-up groups simultaneously pasting up in Melbourne last friday night, as well as groups in Sydney and elsewhere.

The Adelaide high-risk AG painted up Unley Council who had refused to declare a climate emergency, and were interviewed on ABC radio the next day!

I would suggest that on the regenerative action cycle we have moved through a flurry of action and so now we should have a meeting for celebration, reflection and learning.

Please RSVP Here - See you then :smiley:

3 Likes

Zoom Details (5pm Today):

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 525 626 7272
Password: 842991
One tap mobile
+61861193900,5256267272#,1#,842991# Australia
+61871501149,5256267272#,1#,842991# Australia

Dial by your location
+61 861 193 900 Australia
+61 8 7150 1149 Australia