(Everything you need to know is in this editable top post You can add discussion in the posts below)
Here is the first part of a campaign to make our message heard by as many people as possible. We will post, distribute, paint, chalk and try to tell the truth by any means at our disposal.
Let us coordinate our forces and bring attention to the planetary emergency which weighs on all living beings and the need for mass civil disobedience
A little bit of action by a few rebels here and there can achieve a lot!
XR poster campaigns are spreading and multiplying throughout the world , reinforced by feedback on Social Networks. Our Paint the Streets project launched with a group putting together this vision:
- We’ll inspire rebels across the country to put out powerful and loving messages throughout the community, providing resources to make it as easy as possible for anyone to join in on Paint the Streets.
- The message is big, bold and colourful .
- The message conveys urgency and encourages people to join the rebellion. We want to continue building the rebellion through the pandemic.
- We build on XR messages that are already strong, like ‘We are all in this together’, ‘Tell the truth and act as though that truth I real’.
- We disrupt the business-as-usual mindset, ‘Another world is possible’.
- We build the ‘story of we’ – that we can work together and provide mutual aid – and undermine the ‘story of I’ – that we are selfish, greedy, competitive and prone to climb over others to get ahead, make more money, buy more stuff.
- We find ways to convey that this is what emergency mode looks like – that we can work together to make big changes fast when we are facing a life and death threat.
- We help promote messages from the broader climate movement, like ‘Build back better’, ‘We need a People’s Recovery Plan’, ‘We don’t want to go back to normal, normal is the problem’.
- Our message is loving and empathic, but edgy. We dare to say what others dare not.
- Our visibility helps creates and maintain a strong sense of XR community , providing love and support for rebels
- Our visibility also maximises our power to influence , helping increase the chance of good outcomes from the pandemic emergency and reducing the chance of bad outcomes (disaster capitalism etc).
- XR is everywhere – chalking, posters, house signs, subvertising and online.
- Our visibility reassures others who are worried about the climate and ecological emergency that XR is not slacking off.
- Our messages are family friendly and some may use humour . We don’t want to offend families with children who are using a bike path or visiting a supermarket.
- OUR MESSAGE GOES VIRAL!
Please post photos of your actions in the discussion thread below.
The tools :
To facilitate the decentralization of these Paint the Street actions, you can find all the useful links in the Paint the Streets Australia Guide.
these Paint the Streets resources will allow you to organize display sessions independently within your local and / or affinity group, by providing you with links to all the resources and information necessary for organization of your action! (Templates, guidelines, designs, glue recipe, necessary equipment, etc.)
The posters & visuals to be used for these actions are available on the google drive, but each group is free to create their own.
We want to send a message that our world is changing, and encourage people to imagine the better world that is possible and to build back better while telling the truth about the climate and ecological emergency.
The action :
Anyone can organize these actions at any level of engagement, and everyone can play a role. All you need is a little equipment and a group of motivated rebels. Link up with your local arts groups and start making things!
To join an action:
This action is decentralized. This post is in wiki-mode (which means you can edit it by clicking on the small pencil at the bottom right).