Movement, Revolution, Philosophy and Structure

XR seems to be slowing in many places. While this is clearly due in part to the COVID pandemic there are also deeper tensions about how we embedding SOS and Regen in Movement Building and how we actually enact the ten principles in different circumstances:

• What does our share vision of change look like and how do we get there?
  • What is it necessary to do now in order to reach this vision?
  • How do we create a regenerative culture?
  • How do we embed reflecting and learning in our wayā€™s of working?
  • How do we create safer and more accessible spaces?
  • How do we actively mitigate for power?
  • How do we recognize and challenge our toxic system?
  • How do we maintain a culture of non-violence?
  • What do we do when we encounter blaming and shaming behaviour?
  • What structures do we now need to challenge power?
  • How we work together in a decentralized yet aligned manor?

I believe these questions are extremely important to discuss. Some may not have answers or the answers may change and evolve as the movement does.

Revolutions are born from philosophy

I hope this is an appropriate thread for this discussion, Iā€™ve seen a few others but they seemed too narrowly focused for what I want to discuss. I think all the above interrelates and so canā€™t actually be discussed in isolation.

Iā€™ve personally Iā€™ve been feeling quite demoralized due to believing strongly that revolutions stem from philosophy and that the change we need has to start with a cultural shift, but Iā€™m no longer seeing that cultural shift occurring. I feel like we have stagnated and become stuck doing the same things and expecting them to keep working. = Definition of insanity, in my opinion.

Iā€™ve shared the following videos but it appears that people either think they are already doing this or silently donā€™t think itā€™s relevant. :frowning:

Iā€™d love feedback. :pray:

Hereā€™s a direct link to [Organisation] Grow XR with Action Focused SOS.mp4
And thereā€™s also [Organisation] 6min Mandates Tutorial.webm

The key to SOS I believe is that we must start as a whole group and agree on a Vision as a whole group. But itā€™s VITAL NOT TO STOP THERE. The whole group needs to consent to how that vision is broken up into separate mandates and to the wording of each mandate .

Thereā€™s a fair bit of work involved in writing these mandates but unless the whole group has buy in to them the whole group wonā€™t respect or understand how they all fit together and will slowly drift apart.
This is what Iā€™ve been seeing happening. Because most people grabbed the concept of decentralization and started running itā€™s been incredibly hard to gather any sort of coordination.

In WA, even though we started as a single group and consented (as a whole group) for the need and creation of an ā€œAction WGā€ ā€œOutreach WGā€ ā€œInfrastructure WGā€ ā€œRegen WGā€ etc We did not decide what these groups would contribute. We did not have an agreed upon ā€œvision for changeā€. And we did not write any mandates. and so there was no clarity about who was doing what or how it all fitted together. The SOS group did a mass of work writing mandates for all the groups but I donā€™t think anyone actually read of followed them. Our meetings certainly didnā€™t involve proposed mandate changes or tensions between role holders. The meetings usually resembled ordinary community group meetings where everyone discussed the problems and what each group could contribute to solving the problem. This did not create an energy that empowered people, gave them autonomy or provided a constructive method for resolving conflicts.

2 Likes

Hi Jesse
I have been hanging out for working in an affinity group. I hope what you have written here will help me stay focused on that and not get so ā€˜messyā€™ with my involvement. I do bits of all sorts of things but with no mandate, nad very little shared vision with others. Sometimes it all works well but I get the impression it is way more stressful than it needs to be.
I have PMd you some other comments.
Thanks for your input

A bit lateā€¦but I think this is a useful contribution Jesse. Thank you. There is much focus on the decentralisation, not so much on SOS.