I had a brief brainstorm yesterday, coming up with a bit of a picture of what I would like to see for Paint the Streets M&M:
Mobilize and organize for actions
- Give instructions on “how to” paint the streets
- Connect people to form groups
- Answer enquiries and engage with interested rebels
Brag --> Show collective power
Normalize civil disobedience
Elevate the profile of Paint the Streets actions and Extinction Rebellion in the public discourse
- Show the public that we are fighting for a better world -> encourage them to join us
One main message
Spread across all channels
Easy pathways to join
Social Media - FB, Instagram, Twitter, etc
- All XR SM channels -> there’s lots!
- XR TV
XR State and Local Newsletters
Paint the Streets Newsletter
- Traditional Media Liaisons / Spokespeople
- Comms channel admins (e.g. Facebook page admins)
- Content creators - writers, graphic designers and artists, videographers, photographers
- Messaging advisors / analysts
Now, I think a bunch of these roles could be carried out by existing M&M working group members (nationally and in the state groups) - but it would be good to have a few people creating and coordinating the content for Paint the Streets, and someone being the conduit to spread the main message to all of the channels.
I think this would make the jobs of the existing, already very busy M&M working group members easier and free them up a bit to catch up with things or have some time for proactivity. It would be really really cool if we could get some good engagement going with some traditional media or social media “influencers” e.g. the Honest Government Ads, ABC radio presenters, the Project, etc.
Who is up for this?
Please let me know if you’d be interested in taking on a role as Paint the Streets M&M coordinator.
Also please let me know if you’re interested in contributing from your current role in a media and messaging team, or in any of the other roles up there (or others you can think of that I haven’t mentioned).