🌈 Paint the Streets: Ideas, inspiration & documentation

Love this message Costas: Unite behind the science! :green_heart: :butterfly:

2 Likes

Hey Brad,
I love 1, 2 and 4. They pick up on unique and important issues.

Given the latest science, Id like to see the return of this messaging:
‘Zero carbon emissions by 2025’

And, in homage to the losses experienced in the last bushfire season:
'Lest we forget" with flames & koala skeleton. Also because Im aware that preparations are already underway for the coming season :cry:

1 Like

We could probably include Net Zero By 2025 with the Rebel With A Cause one.

2 Likes

And I like the idea of the Lest We Forget with the Koala skeleton and the flames

2 Likes

What about a classic “Climate Chaos: We’re Fucked”?

3 Likes

Personally I think the expletive puts a lot of people off side, be interested to hear what others think?

Climate Chaos = Mass Death?
Or maybe we could punt the question over to the M&M team - give us some top slogans you’d recommend for harder messaging for the next batch of stickers, and then we can finalize them at the next meeting?

2 Likes

Hey Bradd … watch this if you haven’t already:
Great 15min video ‘The Language of Protest’, about how protest movements (really just XR) go about communicating a message, featuring some well-spoken talking heads (from XR and other notables) and lots of lovely shots of the XR UK Fashion Action team, large-scale block printing, arts factory goings-on, placard-making etc.
https://youtu.be/zVWfMQKiKGc

3 Likes

Kate and I have been developing some pretty freakin excellent message/image combo’s.
We’d be well up for adapting them for a circular format for some utterly ‘wantable’ stickers… But you guys’d probably want them like, yesterday right? Maybe they’ll be ready for next time…?

3 Likes

(yeah, I know I misspelt $)

2 Likes

So sorry I didn’t get to the meeting on Thursday - had some life stuff that needed my full attention.

1 Like

Thanks Jess very good, and point taken on expletives.
Can’t believe I overlooked; Respect Existence or Expect Resistance (one of my personal favourites).
And that’s some Arts Factory they’ve got.

5 Likes

Yeah! More to the point :wink:

We used some of these last night in Moreland and couldn’t stop admiring them :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes I like 1,2 and 4 the best. And how about these as well

Extinction or rebellion?
Inaction = death
No going back

Gas is another current issue but it’s hard to think of a good slogan short enough for a sticker. Something like these - but better!

No gas
No more gas
Gas will cook our future
Gas = no future

2 Likes

Some more inspiration from UK rebels.
They rode or walked to local MPs offices to disruptively deliver a message.

1 Like

@brad333 and @ManicMax
Confronting language and images has been central to XR messaging from the start. Swearing makes me feel somewhat uncomfortable but I think it’s okay in the emergency situation we face. The first XR UK banner was “Climate change - we’re fucked”.

The way I think of it is - how would we be communicating if a massive fire was approaching and leaders weren’t telling people the truth about how serious the fire was and they were making no effort to get people to safety - and large numbers of people could die?

We would be running from house to house raising the alarm. We would be intense, emotional. We would be shouting, we might be crying. And we could easily be swearing!

What has been lacking in communication about the climate and ecological emergency is the emotion that is congruent with the existential threat we face. When the World Bank says that four degrees of warming “may be beyond adaptation” this bland statement does not adequately convey the horror that accompanies billions of people and much of the natural world dying and the collapse of organised human society.

Long story short - in times like this I think it’s it’s okay to swear. We don’t need everyone to love us, we have a responsibility to sound the alarm. Climate chaos - we’re fucked or Climate chaos = mass death are both okay by me. I also like the one they are using in the UK: Inaction = death

5 Likes

Thanks Jane, the sooner we can get consensus on our five new messages the sooner we can get things moving, given these messages will be more hard hitting I think they could possibly be even more popular than the last batch of stickers :fist::herb::earth_africa:

1 Like

CLIMATE CHAOS = WE’RE FUCKED has always been a firm favourite of mine.

2 Likes

So we are OK with the words DEATH, and existential (implies death but in a depersonalised removed style) So how do we feel about the words murder and genocide. I think they are apt, and convey the truth about the scale of death that will come with an existential threat. How about the use of the emotion guilt, by mentioning complicitness? To me triggering the emotion of guilt of complicitly allowing the development of an existential threat via accepting the business as usual scenario seems strong enough to trigger a vevolt in response to that, if this case is made in public view - “OK with climate change? - Your are complicit in genocide/murder!” . That’s pretty heavy messaging… I am ok with it as it is the truth, but some will be scared that it will put off more people than it activates and onboards… “Mass death” makes it seem like it is not any individual’s fault, like it just happened, but murder brings it back to personal responsibility and in fact a conscious act that made it happen, as opposed to say manslaughter, where it was consequential but not deliberate… so is guilt OK to use? because we are all guilty, and that is the basis of raising the issue of complicit involvement in mass death… heavy stuff… it then requires another conscious choice to become non-complicit, to separate ones actions from that which results in that guilt being appropriate guilt, and that is what we want to activate in my opinion, a personal decision in those seeing this message to deliberately become non-complicit, and free themself from the guilt , by standing up to continued climate change in exchange for continued lifestyles of luxuries, which is a moral highground that can provide solace to people who have realised that they are already carrying that guilt (I think a lot of the population already know this but don’t know how to react or deal with this).That in my opinion is the value proposition of this message. “Feeling guilty at your complicit involvement in the Mass Murder associated with allowing climate change to continue for your benefit? Free yourself, by opposing climate change, don’t be complicit any longer, don’t let this happen in your name any longer. Resist, Join the rebellion.” That is a message I hope triggers something in people… our luxuries are now other people’s death… Guilty as charged. Powerful. Too Much?

2 Likes